Friday, May 20, 2011

Potato Soup

Still soup weather here! Is it really May?
Water is just about equal height with potatoes

Serves 4
Scrub and dice 5 medium potatoes. I leave the skin on. Cook in saucepan with 2 cups water and ½ tsp salt. Cover and bring to a boil, then turn heat to low and simmer about 20 minutes.

2 Tbs butter
¼ cup chopped onion
2 Tbs flour
2 cups milk (can use ½ cup cream for ½ cup of the milk)
½ tsp salt (or garlic salt if desired)
pepper to taste
¼ cup shredded cheese

In another saucepan heat butter until melted. Add onions and sauté for a minute or two. Mix milk and flour together in shaker and add to butter and onions. Add salt and pepper. Stir until bubbly and slightly thickened.
Drain potatoes and add milk mixture. Stir. Sprinkle cheese on top and stir in just before serving.

Note: I like to add other vegetables sometimes. This is how I do it. When I am sautéing the onion, I add the other veggie too.
Some options are carrots, broccoli, bell pepper, spinach, peas.

Another option: Add chopped ham or bacon to the soup.
This soup has red bell pepper added

I served this with parmesan rolls.




No comments:

Post a Comment