Saturday, September 17, 2011

Crepes

From Tibos ”Crepes from around the world” (with only a few adjustments)
Makes about 10 fairly thick 12” crepes

1 ¼  cup wheat flour (best from soft white wheat)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 Tbs sugar
1 egg
1 cup water
1 1/3 cup milk

In large mixing bowl, combine all the flour, salt, and sugar and stir to mix well. Add egg, water and milk. Whisk until smooth. (Note: to make from food storage use 1 Tbs dehydrated egg and 1/3 cup milk powder and add to dry ingredients)

Pour 1/3 cup batter onto hot griddle and spread into about a 12 inch circle. I have a spreader made for cooking crepes, but the back of a large spoon would work. You need to work fast here, the dough starts to cook quickly. (It took me a while to get the hang of it.) Cook 15 to 20 seconds and flip over. Add filling to center of crepe, fold in ends and sides and let cook for about 30 seconds, then turn over and let cook for about 20 seconds more to make sure filling is hot.  Serve immediately.

Between cooking each crepe, make sure to rub the griddle with a paper towel with olive oil on it. The griddle must be non stick.  I have a crepe griddle and I love it, but it is kind of a big thing to store if kitchen space is tight.

Note: If I want to make enough for the family before I serve them, I put the cooked crepes on a plate and put them in the oven with the oven light on. My oven light is on the top of the oven and so I put them on the top rack right under the light.  You can also put them in the microwave and shut the door to keep them warm.

I served diced tomatoes and lettuce for topping the crepes at the table.


Filling Ideas for savory crepes:

Salmon filling:
Mix 3 oz cream cheese, 1 can drained salmon, and 1/3 cup chopped cucumber or celery.  This is enough for 4 – 5 crepes

Chicken filling:
Same as salmon, but replace can of salmon with can of chicken.

Eggs, grated cheese and bacon or ham are also good in crepes. I scramble the eggs before I use them in a filling.

Sweet crepes:
After making the savory crepes, I sometimes add a little vanilla to the batter before cooking the dessert crepes.
Follow the same instructions as above, but instead of putting filling in, sprinkle with sugar, or cinnamon and sugar or spread some nutella on the crepe.  Fold the crepe in half or fourths to serve. Marshmallows and chocolate chips would probably be good.  I’ve never tried it, but I bet it would be gooey and yummy. 

Filling them with fruit and whip cream is also delicious. I just cook the crepes and serve with a bowl of fruit and a bowl of cream. Fruit jam would work also. (food storage)

Batter

Salmon filling

Fold over

Ready to turn and warm other side

Cinnamon and Sugar

2 comments:

  1. Those sound so good right now. We're not very healthy and have crepes for breakfast. The boys and I always eat ours with powdered sugar and Darrell eats his with butter and sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently tried putting orange extract in my sweet crepes and they were delicious!

    ReplyDelete