Friday, October 7, 2011

Ham and Lima Beans

This is really good. We all like it.


Serves 4

2 Tbs butter
¾ C. chopped onion
½ tsp granulated garlic

½ tsp salt
Pepper to taste
¾ C chopped ham (can use a small can of ham)
1 ½ Tbs flour
1 can baby lima beans with juice (or follow instructions below to cook from dried baby lima beans)

Melt butter in frying pan. Sautee onions in butter, when they turn clear, add garlic, salt, pepper, ham and flour. Stir. Add to baby lima beans in saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes.
Ready for the lima beans
I served this with breadsticks last night. We ate half and I froze the other half for a later meal.

To cook dry lima beans:
Pressure cooker:
Cook 1 cup dry lima beans and 3 cups water 15 minutes in pressure cooker, then quick release (cool pressure cooker with water)

Stovetop:
Put 1 cup dry beans and 3 cups water in saucepan. Bring to a boil. Turn off heat and let soak 1 hour.
Drain and rinse beans. Put back in saucepan with 3 ½ cups water and 1 tsp salt. Simmer for 2 ½ to 3 hours.

2 comments:

  1. I made this tonight. I used big lima beans and didn't like how much bean I had to bite into. I will for sure use baby lima beans next time. I used canned ham (I found it by the tuna) and it was good. You're my favorite blogger. Love, Lin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lin, I have edited the recipe to reflect these suggestions. Love you and thanks for figuring out the canned ham.

    ReplyDelete