Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Pasta Salad


I made this pasta salad tonight and it turned out pretty good. It has lots of cheese in it because I made it for Lindy and she is a cheese lover. Here is what I did.

Serves about 5 people

Bring 6 cups water and 1/2 tsp salt to a boil. Add 2 1/2 cups pasta. I used bow tie, but any kind will work.
Boil for about 10 minutes.

While the pasta is cooking; Whisk the following together in a serving bowl:
1 Tbs. mayonaise
1 Tbs. ranch dressing
2 Tbs. plain yogurt (substitute milk or sour cream if desired)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 shake of season salt or celery seed

Add:
3 baby zucchinis (sliced) I like my zucchini very small, like 4 inches long.
1 cup sweet peas still in the pod (cut into bite sized pieces) (can substitute 1/2 cup frozen peas)
1 avocado (chopped)
1 small can chopped black olives (or about 10 whole olives sliced)
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese cut into cubes

Stir until coated with dressing.

Drain pasta and rinse. Stir into salad and serve.

Note:
Other vegetables can be substituted for the ones above. Use what you like to eat or what is in season.
Some suggestions are:
Corn, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, green onion, celery, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, sunflower seeds, boiled eggs, anything you like.
I'm thinking some fresh chopped basil would be a good addition. I'll try that next time.

Note:
I served this with breadsticks tonight, but I changed the size of the pan I cooked them in. I liked them better this way. I used a flat 18" X 13" jelly roll pan.

4 comments:

  1. This was delicious. I really really liked it. You are the best cook I know. I even ate the zucchinis, it was that good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it and good for you eating zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this tonight for dinner and it was a total hit. . .except for Ellery, but you know her issues with noodles. Anyway, McKay even ate the veggies- broccoli, peppers, carrots and green onion. It was tasty and super easy and the ingredients are things that I always have- I love recipes like that.

    And guess what else I discovered as I made it? That you can boil veggies while your pasta is cooking! Did you know that already? I feel like my life has changed. I had no idea you could do that. I just boiled them the last couple minutes so they would be nice and crisp, but not crunchy/raw.

    I didn't know if this dish was supposed to be hot or cold- we had it hot. How do you do it? Either way, it was delicious. Thanks for a great new recipe. I love your blog, and I love your cooking, and I love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have two opinions in our family about the hot or cold. Marilyn and Jaynann always warm theirs in the microwave if I serve it cold. McKay and I like it either way.
    I put my veges in raw, but I love your idea to slightly cook them, especially served hot.
    Thanks for sharing and I love you too.

    ReplyDelete