Monday, April 11, 2011

Granola

From Rebecca Davidson
Rebecca is my neighbor and she gave this recipe to me a couple of years ago.  I usually keep some on hand. I have adjusted a few measurements to suit our tastes, so this is not the exact recipe she gave me, but my adjusted one. This is a big batch and it stays fresh about 3 months in an airtight container. It may last longer, if it didn't get eaten.
Measurements are approximate:
4 C rolled oats
1 ½ C puffed wheat (available at health food store)
1 ½ C puffed brown rice (available at health food store)
2 C puffed millet (available at health food store)
2 C puffed kamut (available at health food store)
1 C sliced raw almonds (or whole)
2 C chopped raw pecans
1 C raw cashew pieces
1 C raw sunflower seeds
3 C unsweetened coconut
½ C flax seed
1 ½ C pumpkin seeds (raw)
Mix in large bowl.

In saucepan, heat:
1 ½ C unrefined, virgin coconut oil (available at health food store)
2 C honey
1 ½ T vanilla
½ t nutmeg
1 t cinnamon
2 t salt

Add any combination:
raisins, craisins, dried apricots, dried apples, dried pineapple, etc.

Pour warm mixture over oat mixture and stir until moistened. Line 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking sheets. Spread mixture evenly on sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes (or until golden), stirring occasionally. I bake for 7 minutes, then stir and put back in for 8 more minutes. Remove and cool. Store in airtight container. Makes about 30 cups.

1 comment:

  1. I made this in December for the people I visit teach. it was a big hit, thank you!

    ReplyDelete